INUYAMA CASTLE built on top of a hill (elevation of about 40m) on the southern bank of KISO River is also known as HAKU-TEI-JO.
It was in the year 6th of KEICHO (1601) that the TENSHU-KAKU of Iuyama castle was built at the current location.
Till then, the place was dedicated to SHIN-KOU Shrine. After the SEKIGAHARA battle, Inuyama became the property of IEYASU TOKU-GAWA, and TADA-YOSHI TOKUGAWA was named the head of the KIYOSU castle.
Tadayoshi designated YOSHITSUGU OGASAWARA, his long time follower, as the head of Inuyama castle in order to secure the northern property.
Yoshitsugu moved the Shin-kou Shrine down to HAKUSAN-DAIRA, and built the catle at the place. The building still remaining today from that time is the first and the second floor of TENSHU.
Later on, in the 3rd year of GEN-WA (1607), the 3rd and the 4th floors of the castle which remain today was added by HAYATO MASA-NARI NARUSE.
The casle was renovated by Hayato Masanari's son, MASA-TORA, and the Inuyama castle that we see today was completed. The construction of ZASHIKI located on the first floor is considered as a part of renovation done in BUNKA period (the beginning of 19th century).